Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Apple Pies and more


I really had a great weekend on Sunday I stopped at the Food Bank Garden to check on how things were looking as we prepared for the winter. I was able to take some seed from a flower/weed called Kiss me over the gate. It is a very pretty pink flower. I did learn that is really is a weed, but I plan a growing it... and as long as I keep my eye on it, it should do just fine. I will keep you posted in the spring. I also made two apple pies on Sunday.... I was able to use the apples that I bought a few weeks ago from the grape festival I went to in Silver Creek. The pies turned out well. I was spend Two hours washing green tomatoes for NRC Food Pantry from the Food Bank Garden- so I could park in the garage. Then an hour working in one of my beds and preparing them for winter. I have so much work a head of me. I live near many greenhouses and I have to pass 6 of them on my way home from work -some of them are still open. Since I love sales there was no way I was pass by a buy one get one free sale. I have to admit most of the stuff looked terrible but I did end up buying an hibiscus plant for $2.00. Let me be honest by no means was this plant in great condition. They told me to keep in my basement until March and not to water it until then.Then I would gradually bring it outside after the last frost. I will keep you posted.

Pie Crust
( this is my mother's pie crust recipe, I am not sure where she got it from but we have been using it for years)
5 cups of flour
2 cups of crisco
4 tablespoons of sugar
1tsp. salt
1 egg
1/4 tsp baking powder
tsp. vinegar

Mix flour, sugar salt and baking powder. Cut crisco into mixture. Break 1 egg in measuing cup, add vinegar then fill with cold water until it reaches 3/4 cups. Add to mixture. Mix and then roll out with rolling pin and put in pie plate. This recipe should make 5 pie bottoms. I only get about three pie bottoms out of this. I think because my pie dish is pretty big and deep. I usually roll the dough in a ball ( enough to make one pie) and put in the freezer or refrigerator.

Apple Pie filling
12-15 apples
sugar
cinnamon


Crumb topping
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter at room temp

Apple Pie filling- I like to use Macintosh or Cortland Apples. Peel and cut into slices. I think I use about 12-15 apples depending on the size. After I slice them I add sugar and cinnamon to taste. Side bar almost all my spices are from Penzeys, we can talk more about them another day.
I mix everything up... and here is my secret... I let the apples sit for about 30 min. and then let all the juice come out. While I am waiting for my apples, I make a crumb topping.Mix the flour, sugar and butter with a fork in a small bowl and set a side. When the apples are done, take a handful and squeeze all the juice out and put the apples in the pie dish. Once you have filled the pie with all the apples, place the topping on top of the apples. Put pie in oven and cook until done in a preheated oven . Oven should be 350.



No comments:

Post a Comment