Saturday, October 15, 2011

They liked me they really really liked me.

Today I taught my class How to Eat Healthy on Budget at the 8th Annual World on your Plate event. The class was at 9:15 this morning, there were about 20 people on the class, maybe less. I was very nervous about the class and I spend a lot of time preparing for it, not really knowing what to tell people. Saving money, cooking and eating are all things that I love to and they all come pretty easy for me- and therefore I think these things come pretty easy for others too.Today I talked about buying fruits and vegetables at farmers markets, and CSA's or growing them in the backyard. Talked about getting to know your farmer and preserving. Each spring I buy a flat of strawberries for $25.00 and I am able to make freezer jam and freeze the rest so I can have local strawberries anytime I want. I also talk about using coupons, cooking from scratch etc. Since I did a workshop I was able to attend the conference for free, it was a very good event. I went to a workshop called How to Build a Better School Lunch Program, the speakers were from Aurora Waldorf School located in West Falls.Chef Heather made some amazing sausage endive soup and corn chowder they were a sample of the food that they give the kids at the school. They do not take any federal money for there school lunch and lunch cost $3.00. They cook everything from whole, organic, to local foods. The don't give the kids options, they can choose to buy or not.They have this belief that give the kinds what they need when they need it not what they want. I love that ! There are no free and reduced meals. The school does have a scholarship plan for low income families. They sell their left over food to the parents (I would buy it) and Chef Heather is the only person who is paid staff and she has some parent volunteers. She makes food for 80 -150 students each day. Chef Heather has a great promoter Lisabeth Abt Pierters . The school has won the grand prize Kiwi Crusader Award a magazine about growing families natural and organic ways. They have also been recognized by Jamie Oliver. I do think that is something interesting to note, that this program sounds great and it works at this school but I do not think that can happen everywhere. So many people complain about the school meals and I am not saying they are great or even healthy- but there are so many things in place that do not allow change to happen quickly- Unions, Teacher, Parents and Kids... there is this thing called supply and demand. I think most kids are not use to eating healthy foods it is something that takes time to introduce... yes I know if you ask people they are going to say yes my kids love veggies- but really lets be honest -unless it is cooked right most kids do not love them. If this wasn't the case do you think Seinfeld wife would of sold so many cook books on how to deceived kids by hiding veggies in their food. Just Saying..

The Keynote speaker was very good... Judy Wicks.. Local Living Economies: Green,Fair and Fun. She is an entrepreneur and activist. She owns her own business called White Dog Cafe which she started in 1983 on the first flour of her house in West Philly. She had some many great things to say... she is the process of writing a book which I am sure will be very good. It was great to be around so many people who have so much passion for the things they do.... Lunch was ok... nothing really special is was all local and organic food.. folks loved it, but I just thought it was ok. Oh yea I made bean and corn salsa for my class.. I promised a food sample. While I was at the event I also met the Tom Rivers a local author who wrote a book called Farm Hands- I bought the book, so I will tell you all about it. I also bought this very yummy tasty Fit-n-Fresh energy bar, they are made locally in Swormville.
Food For All was on the original planning committee of this event years ago- I worked with this group 3 or 4 years- I think the group has worked so hard to get this event to where it is 8 years later. This has been Eveline Hartz baby and she and June Licence have done such a great job...
By the way there is so much more to write about today- including my visit to the farmers market and what I made for dinner... but that will have to be in Sundays post.

No comments:

Post a Comment